Monday, January 5, 2009

My new goal

One of my favorite bloggers, Nilsa, has just signed up to run a half-marathon. Oh, no biggie...she's done marathons and 5Ks and such before - she's a runner (take that, Nilsa!). However, I was inspired by her committment and have decided to make one of my own.

I will also begin training. Even though I don't have the benefit of months to prepare, I am going to start on a strict regimen. I will stop eating chocolate frosted donuts. I have a visit with my midwife on Thursday and I have a suspicious feeling that she is going to schedule my gestational diabetes screening. I don't want to have gestational diabetes, so I'm going to wean myself from chocolate frosteds. I have been indulging in chocolate frosteds about once a week (but 3 at a time!) for the last month or so. The buck stops here. Well, after I eat the 2 that I picked up this morning on my way in to work...

Thanks, Nilsa for being my inspiration. I will continue to look to you for motivation. If you can run in Chicago, in January, outside - then I can bypass WesternCo donuts on Saturday morning.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the donuts Karla, I just had a blueberry cake that was wonderful. Did you say MIDWIFE????? Tell me you are not forgoing the bliss of a little legal drug use. I'm telling you its the best thing ever! I just had the IV my epi didn't work but what I had I was floating. The baby was perfect still is think about the drugs for me. This is from you LS that loves the natural side of things. I make my own baby food, cleaning products, and make everyone else follow my natural agenda with her.
If I do it agai the drugs are a must and sooner next time I was trying really hard to focus and do my breathing go to the happy place it beat me.
Melody went natural and she will love the hear this and that babies head is big!!!
What am I talking about....
I know you will be fine and will probably talk and text throughout the entire event.(like NeKeidra but she was high)

Karla said...

Not to worry, Kenge...drugs will definately be involved. LOL! I am giving birth in a hospital with a multitdue of anesthesiologists on staff. Only natural thing about it will be the organic cotton outfit I have waiting to take the baby home in.

Anonymous said...

Whew was a little concerned. Rodney is still a little shelled shocked from the experience I hope Anthony is ready.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Dare I tell you I'll be running INSIDE when there's a lot of snow on the ground? However, I do plan on getting outside once the streets clear up (and maybe once the temps get out of the single digits!).

But, that's not the point. You're getting yourself healthy. And I think that's awesome. Sorry for being such a dimwit and only getting around to reading your blog this week. Things have been hectic here...

So, this week when I'm running on the treadmill and wanting to stop (because it's not easy to start up this running thing again), I'm going to think of you and say, "If Karla can skip the donut shop, I can run for 10 more minutes!" I'll let you know how it goes...

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the run. I've run 9 half marathons and let me tell you, you wouldn't know it by looking at me. That's what I like about running these days. It isn't just for the ultra-athletes. You'll see quite a variety of all types.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online