Friday, February 20, 2009

Etiquette and The Chimp Debacle

Okay, I have two etiquette questions here. As a former debutante, I pride myself on being appropriately proper in most circumstances, but I had a moment of etiquette confusion yesterday (Where's Ms. Manners when you need her?)

So, I was at the bus stop and there was a 20-something guy sitting on the bench. I joined him. Then, an elderly lady and another 20-something guy walking with a cane approached the bus stop. Now, the bench only fits two adults comfortably. The kid sitting next to me made no motion to get up. After a minute, I asked him if he wouldn't mind giving his seat to the elderly lady. After looking at me like I was a complete idiot, he offered her the seat. Then, I felt bad for the guy with the cane. I felt like I should offer him the seat, but does a pregnant lady (who was extremely worn out from the day) have to defer to a physically handicapped person? Is pregnancy a handicap? When I wasn't pregnant, I always offered my seats to pregnant ladies.

Oy! Some people stress over the economy or world peace - I, on the other hand, fret for a whole day about bus stop etiquette. Go figure.

Now, about this thing with the New York Post chimpanzee editorial cartoon:
Racist undertones aside, am I the only one that thought it was insensitive and much too soon to be making fun of the chimp attack that almost cost a woman her life and may have cost her the structure of her face? There was nothing remotely funny about that chimp attack, a woman could have died and another woman lost her beloved pet companion. Whatever. I've been really disappointed with the Post lately.

3 Comments:

GFS said...

This is a good question in etiquette. I would say that being a woman "trumps" the guy with the cane. The fact that he was younger would have made me keep sitting. If he was an older guy with a cane, then I would have gotten up.

Bravo, to you making the little boy get up though. Me and the fiance' went to church last week. My fiance's dad is a "doorkeeper/usher. Well my soon to be father n law was seating people and space was getting tight. He made my 17 year old future bro n law get up to allow a mother and her son sit down...the lady's son appeared to be about 16 or 17.

Well, my bro n law was a little peeved. He didn't giving up his seat to his mom but felt he shouldn't have lost his seat to a dude was his same age.

I think i agree with him...hmmm...choices, choices:)

Karla said...

I don't know what it is with kids these days. They wear their baseball caps inside the classroom! (not MY classroom, though).

I also think I would have been peeved if I was your bro n law about the other teenage dude...

DaVida Chanel said...

I think pregnant women don't ever have to get up. Like there are even special parks for you guys at the grocery store!!! LOL!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online