Thursday, March 12, 2009

When it's time to take a stand...

Man, I haven't written in quite awhile!

I had a huge project at work and it has consumed all of my time! Now it's over (and turned out to be quite an amazing piece of handywork, if I must say so myself) and my days are my own again. So, I have reclaimed my 15 minutes of blog time!

I know a woman. She always seems to be caught up in conflict. Most of this conflict has to do with her race and/or gender. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. But, I never judge because who am I to say what personal impact one's statements or actions may have on another. Right?

Well, she's trapped in another mess. This time, she's innocent. She tried to stay away from trouble and trouble came and found her anyway.

She has asked me to stand with her as she fights back. I am embarrassed to say that I am a bit torn. I don't want to be lumped in the same "troublemaker" category that she is in. I don't want to jeopardize my relationship with others because of their impressions of her. I don't want to risk being alienated as she has been for the last several years. I also don't want to live a sister hanging out to dry at no fault of her own.

So, I have to do some soul-searching. As much as I want to be there for her "in spirit" and otherwise stay out of it, she is pushing me to step up or shut up. I'm just not sure I can rise to the occassion...

1 Comment:

DaVida Chanel said...

While I believe if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything,I also believe you get to choose what you stand for. Let her fight her own battle(s). I don't know the appropriate thing to say to her but I have come to realize that some folk just like that drama.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online