Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Posse's On Broadway

Saturday, I found my self running errands in downtown Seattle. I had the directions and went straight to it with no problems. Getting back was a different story. Seattle is impossible to navigate if you don’t know where you’re going. I’m still not used to this intersecting number streets thing. Everywhere else I’ve lived there’s a hard fast rule that numbered streets run from East to West and named streets run from North to South. So, you can understand that I don’t know what to do when I’m at the corner of 15th Street NE and NE 3rd Street. All the main thoroughfares run diagonally so just when I think I’m on the right track passing 4th, 5th, then 6th Streets, all of the sudden, there’s a change to 120th, 121st then 122nd! Well, I was on a numbered street, but going northward and that threw me off!

Man, I got so turned around! Anyhoo, I’m trying to get back and I’m all turned around. I even accidentally entered I-5 somehow at one point. Which only made things worse, because I don’t know I-5 and if it wasn’t for my compass, I wouldn’t know if I was going up, down or sideways through Seattle. I finally caught a long stoplight at 23rd and Jackson. Just when I was about to call Goog411 (great service! I HIGHLY recommend it) and ask them to get me out of the mess I had made, a DJ saved my life.

Somewhere from the depths of my brain came the lyrics from Sir Mix-a-lot’s “My Posse’s on Broadway” (which, in case you didn’t know, is about Seattle). I remembered that Mix picked up his posse on 23rd and Jackson and headed towards MLK. Okay, I know where MLK is (because that's where hubby gets his hair cut). Ah-ha! Now I have a frame of reference! I also remembered that Mix’s posse turned left on 23rd and Union and headed towards Broadway. Okay, well I just passed Union 2 blocks ago and I ate breakfast on Union and Broadway. So, thanks to Mix, I hooked a right on Jackson and headed to MLK. Finally, un-lost and headed home.

My point is, thank God for all the times the DJs of my life have played that song and encouraged crowd participation, because it certainly saved me about $20 in gas and any further frustration. Thank you Sir Mix-a-lot!

Here's the link to the lyrics if you need a refresher. Thank God I didn't!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha! I had a visual of you in the pimp-mobile. LOL! Now I will forever think of you when I hear that song.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT - see hip hop does help people learn!!! LOL! Also, I was riding with a friend this weekend that had TOM TOM - it was QUITE impressive!!!!!!!!

Karla said...

I may have to invest in some kind of GPS system, b/c this place has me in a perpetual state of confusion. I finally figured out my own downtown just yesterday. I was driving around, semi-lost, but exploring and then it was like, "OH! The highway is EAST of downtown!" LOL!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online