Thursday, March 6, 2008

Musings on butterflies

Exactly 13 years ago, I got my first tattoo. It’s my name in the shape of a butterfly. That tattoo was symbolic of many things – a physical declaration of independence, a reward for waiting patiently until I conceived a design that appealed to me spiritually as well as visually and my first metamorphosis. Gone was the cocoon of high school and the protection and security offered by my parents. I consider the summer after high school + the first semester of my freshman year at college my larval stage. Crawling around trying to find my way. That spring, I felt my wings spread and I was College Karla. Well known and liked on campus, doing well in class, dancing, partying (in an age-appropriate manner, which is so rare among college student these days).Settling in with my core group of friends. I was happy with me and my surroundings! No longer stifled by location (Oklahoma is OK! But, not for anyone aged 16-40, in my opinion).

Over the years, I’ve repeated the cycle of metamorphosis – from College Karla to Post-college Karla to Grad School Karla to Post-doc Karla and beyond. In between, several other Karla’s would emerge depending on who I was dating or best friends with at that particular time.

Today, I feel so blessed to have undergone each different stage of my life to this point. They have all shaped me to be who and where I am today. I feel like it all started with the butterfly tattoo.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! It's been 13 years since we started college! Way to make me feel extremely old.

I remember when you got that tat.

Karla said...

Yep...we're old.

Anonymous said...

That was pretty beautiful Karla!

Anonymous said...

Tango Karla? Where does she fit? I think you are a poet. I always love your words.

Anonymous said...

And what about Married Karla? She's a bit of a (pleasant) surprise from the past Karla's we've known.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online